Why Choose Cumberland Charter Yachts?
Cumberland Charter Yachts (CCY) Vision Statement: Provide an exceptional holiday experience, leaving customers with a lifetime of memories that exceed all expectations.
Cumberland Charter Yachts was founded in 1981, constantly adapting to meet market needs and as the leading bareboat operator, the first company to introduce catamarans for charter back in the early 90s. We pride ourselves on providing an innovative website with online booking and availability, a client portal called the “Charter Centre” designed to assist guests to plan their holiday and information to ensure safe practices in the marine park. We are conveniently based at Abell Point Marina in Airlie Beach, Whitsundays, Queensland.
At the very heart of Cumberland Charter Yachts, our passion and courageous attitude toward exploring drives us to create ‘incredible partnerships delivering unforgettable adventures’. We believe in challenging the status quo, we believe in going further than the rest, we believe in team work and mutual success. This is why we exist and this is what has driven and inspired us every day since we started.
The Principals have an extensive background in boating along with many years marketing and general business experience. Our company has an excellent position in the market place due to our long-standing stability over the years. Cumberland Charter Yachts is Australian owner operated with our Vessel Manager (Terry Kemp) joining the company in 1985, the Managing Director (Charlie Preen) in 1998 and General Manager (Sharon McNally) joining in 2010.
Plus our experienced staff have been working within this industry for many years. Meet the Team
Cumberland Charter Yachts are responsible for the well being of the National Parks, ensuring the enjoyment for future generations. All guests are provided a manual on Responsible Reef Practices, a copy of the 100 Magic Miles and are fully briefed on their possible impact on the reef, its eco system and the National Parks. Every charterer undertakes a 4 hour briefing by our qualified and local Briefers before departure covering all safety aspects of the vessel, the area, anchoring, mooring and snorkeling best practices.
Cumberland Charter Yachts are members of the following organisations:
Ecotourism Australia - committed to preserving the integrity of the Whitsundays and Great Barrier Reef Whitsunday Bareboat Operators Association (WBOA) - a committee ensuring best environmental practices across multiple businesses in the Whitsundays Tourism Whitsundays - the Regional Tourism OrganisationBoating Industry Association (BIA) - the voice of the recreational and light commercial marine industry, promoting safe, recreational boating as a positive and rewarding lifestyle for Australians
Tourism Reef Advisory Committee (TRAC) - an advisory group contributing to issues affecting the management of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.Queensland Tourism Industry Council (QTIC)- the peak tourism body for tourism in Queensland
Qantas Australian Tourism Award 2017 Silver winners for Unique AccommodationQueensland Tourism Award Gold winners 2017 for Unique AccommodationWhitsunday Tourism Award Silver winners 2017 for Unique AccommodationQueensland Tourism Award Bronze winners 2016 for Unique AccommodationWhitsunday Tourism Award Gold winners 2015 for Unique AccommodationTrip Advisor Certificate Of Excellence - 2015, 2016 and 2017
Contributions & Sponsorship
Cumberland Charter Yachts care for the community and environment we operate in, supporting a number of not-for-profit organisations and local businesses through sponsorship and volunteer work.
Eco Barge Clean Seas - a not-for-profit environmental organisation engaging the community to protect the marine life and aquatic environment by removing marine debris from the ocean, streets and creeks and providing care for sick and injured marine turtles. Cumberland Charter Yachts provides financial support to assist in purchasing sunscreen, gloves, debris collection bags and refreshements for volunteers in addition to staff resources in collecting marine debris and assisting with the sorting of debris once collectedSalvation Army - Cumberland Charter Yachts participate in the 'Adopt a Family' program each Christmas, donating gifts, food hampers and vouchers to an under privileged local family, brining joy to a family in need
Whitsunday Sailing Club and Airlie Beach Race Week - the largest keelboat regatta on the Queensland Coast and major event in the Whitsundays, Cumberland Charter Yachts provides financial and in-kind support for the event which attracts hundreds of visitors to the region
Whitsunday Reef Festival - a week long festival celebrating the reef and what it means to live in the Whitsundays. Cumberland Charter Yachts provides financial support and resources to support and assist organising the event to come alive.
Local and Economic Support
- CCY employ 15 staff all are experienced friendly locals.
- CCY believe in supporting local businesses, we buy local products and utilise local services to ensure the regions prosperity. Our welcome pack and provisioning partners include locally grown produce found only in the Whitsundays. Not only will you support the local economy, you'll taste the local flavor.
- CCY supports small business's - We have partnered with other small family owned local businesses to bring you the best service and products. If you book a shuttle bus or hire equipment with us you are helping us to support our local economy.
- Our vessels undergo a regular maintenance program,using local providers, our bespoke database allows us to ensure all equipment is serviced and regulated to the highest standards. Our vessels are slipped annually ensuring you can enjoy safe, environmentally sustainable, well prepared vessels and better fuel economy.
CCY are on a journey to become climate action leaders, a sailing holiday may be considered a low carbon holiday with the wind power you will likely generate, however you'll need to run your engines daily and consider the environment, you can assist in reducing your carbon footprint in a number of ways.
- Minimise power usage on board, switch off lights and fans when not in use.
- Recycle or reuse any plastic containers, ensure nothing goes overboard.
- Turn off water taps and minimise water consumption.
- When booking holiday flights check the carbon offset button.
- Offset your family holiday carbon emissions here with Green Fleet.
- Gift any unwanted unopened non perishable food items into our charity bins.
Our customers enjoy our seamless service and caring staff. Often referred to a customer centric, we understand that the boat you choose is just the start of your adventure.
CCY adapt to your needs- If you wish to start your briefing later or pick up from an island, we bring the boat to you. We can even do your shopping.
- You have access to a private charter center where you can plan your holiday, review the tides and weather, plus keep up to date with your budget. And its mobile friendly. Our innovative web site was launched in April 2001 and, refurbished recently, features detailed information on all vessels in our fleet including current pictures, specifications, real time availability and complete pricing. Your entire booking is handled through our unique charter center web site so there is no need to download forms or wait for mail. AND all of your crew can access all the details of your charter.
- We are able to provide you with our local knowledge and vast sailing expertise, so you get the most out of your holiday.
- All CCY vessels are welcome at all the resorts in the Whitsundays.
- We provide you with access to over 40 overnight anchorages and many more daytime locations.
- We provide you with 100% protection with our Damage Waiver Policy. No bonds or unwelcome credit card transactions.
- CCY has a low rate credit card fee and provides banking information for you to prepay your account.
- Your snorkel gear is provided free of charge and we ensure it fits correctly, is clean and sanitized every time.
- You’ll experience seamless service, we go the extra mile for you!
- You are important to us! From the first contact we build friendships and a community where everyone is special. Most of our boat owners were charter clients initially.
- Cumberland is located at the superb Abell Point Marina. Winner of 5 Gold Anchors award. The marina underwent an extensive expansion and renovation program in 2013. Abell Point Marina is in the heart of Airlie Beach. Airlie Beach is the mainland town of the Whitsundays and has boutique shopping and excellent restaurants.
- We offer 8:30am BRIEFINGS as standard to maximise your holiday time. We are available 7 days a week on our free reservations number - (Australia) 1800-075101 - to answer any immediate queries that you and the crew may have prior to departure.
A holiday means different things to different people, whether it's a honeymoon or time to reconnect with your family, perhaps the last family holiday before the kids fly the nest? Whatever your motivation our holidays are tailor made for you. We want you to experience the best of the Whitsundays so if you have a query or need an itinerary to enjoy your time here, we can help you.
From the moment you contact us you become part of the CCY community, We have top tips, location recommendations, charter blogs, image sharing, tidal info, a personal web page dedicated to your charter, a team of amazing caring staff, who really know their stuff! All at your finger tips!CCY take care of you! We aim to make this the best holiday experience ever! But don't take our word for it, that's what our clients tell us, read their comments here Testimonials
Or read our reviews on trip advisor: