Why Choose Cumberland Charter Yachts?
Mission Statement: Provide an exceptional holiday experience, leaving customers with a lifetime of memories that exceed all expectations.
Cumberland Charter Yachts was founded in 1981, constantly adapting to meet market needs and as the leading bareboat operator, the first company to introduce catamarans for charter back in the early 90s. We pride ourselves on providing an innovative website with online booking and availability, a client portal called the “Charter Centre” designed to assist guests to plan their holiday and information to ensure safe practices in the marine park. We are conveniently based at Coral Sea Resort|Marina in Airlie Beach, Whitsundays, Queensland.
At the very heart of Cumberland Charter Yachts, our passion and courageous attitude toward exploring drives us to create ‘incredible partnerships delivering unforgettable adventures’. We believe in challenging the status quo, we believe in going further than the rest, we believe in team work and mutual success. This is why we exist and this is what has driven and inspired us every day since we started.
The Principals have an extensive background in boating along with many years marketing and general business experience. Our company has an excellent position in the market place due to our long-standing stability over the years. Cumberland Charter Yachts is Australian owner operated with our director (Terry Kemp) joining the company in 1985, the Managing Director (Charlie Preen) in 1998 and General Manager (Simon Summerton) joining in 2019.
Plus our experienced staff have been working within this industry for many years. Meet the Team
Acknowledgement to Country
Cumberland Charter Yachts acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the lands and waters on which the tourism business operates and pays respect to the Elders past and present.
Cumberland Charter Yachts are responsible for the well being of the National Parks, ensuring the enjoyment for future generations. All guests are provided a manual on Responsible Reef Practices, a copy of the 100 Magic Miles and are fully briefed on their possible impact on the reef, its eco system and the National Parks. Every charterer undertakes a 4 hour briefing by our qualified and local Briefers before departure covering all safety aspects of the vessel, the area, anchoring, mooring and snorkeling best practices.
Cumberland Charter Yachts are members of the following organisations:
- Ecotourism Australia - committed to preserving the integrity of the Whitsundays and Great Barrier Reef
- Whitsunday Bareboat Operators Association (WBOA) - a committee ensuring best environmental practices across multiple businesses in the Whitsundays
- Tourism Whitsundays - the Regional Tourism Organisation
- Boating Industry Association (BIA) - the voice of the recreational and light commercial marine industry, promoting safe, recreational boating as a positive and rewarding lifestyle for Australians
- Tourism Reef Advisory Committee (TRAC) - an advisory group contributing to issues affecting the management of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
- Queensland Tourism Industry Council (QTIC)- the peak tourism body for tourism in Queensland
- Qantas Australian Tourism Award 2019 Finalist for Unique Accommodation
- Whitsunday Tourism Award 2019 Silver for Unique Accommodation
- Queensland Tourism Award 2018 Silver for Unique Accommodation
- Whitsunday Tourism Award 2018 Gold for Unique Accommodation
- Qantas Australian Tourism Award 2017 Silver for Unique Accommodation
- Queensland Tourism Award 2017 Gold for Unique Accommodation
- Whitsunday Tourism Award 2017 Silver for Unique Accommodation
- Queensland Tourism Award 2016 Bronze for Unique Accommodation
- Whitsunday Tourism Award 2015 Gold for Unique Accommodation
- TripAdvisor Certificate Of Excellence - 2015 - 2020, 2023
- Eco-accredited tourism operator
Contributions & Sponsorship
Cumberland Charter Yachts care for the community and environment we operate in, supporting a number of not-for-profit organisations and local businesses through sponsorship and volunteer work.
- Eco Barge Clean Seas - a not-for-profit environmental organisation engaging the community to protect the marine life and aquatic environment by removing marine debris from the ocean, streets and creeks and providing care for sick and injured marine turtles. Cumberland Charter Yachts provides financial support to assist in purchasing sunscreen, gloves, debris collection bags and refreshements for volunteers in addition to staff resources in collecting marine debris and assisting with the sorting of debris once collected
- Salvation Army - Cumberland Charter Yachts participate in the 'Adopt a Family' program each Christmas, donating gifts, food hampers and vouchers to an under privileged local family, brining joy to a family in need
- Whitsunday Sailing Club and Airlie Beach Race Week - the largest keelboat regatta on the Queensland Coast and major event in the Whitsundays, Cumberland Charter Yachts provides financial and in-kind support for the event which attracts hundreds of visitors to the region
- Outrigger Whitsunday
Local & Economic Support
- Employ 15 staff who all are experienced friendly locals
- Support local businesses buying local products and utilising local services to ensure the regions prosperity. Our provisioning partners source locally grown produce found only in the Whitsundays. Not only will you support the local economy, you'll taste the local flavor
- Partner with other small family owned local businesses to bring you the best service and products. If you book a shuttle bus or hire equipment through us, you are helping support our local economy
- Vessels undergo a regular maintenance program and are slipped annually using local suppliers and services ensuring you enjoy a safe, environmentally sustainable, well prepared vessel and better fuel economy
Cumberland Charter Yachts are on a journey to become climate action leaders. A sailing holiday may be considered a low carbon holiday with the wind power you will likely generate, however you'll need to run your engines daily and consider the environment, and you can assist in reducing your carbon footprint in a number of ways:
- Minimise power usage on board, switch off lights and fans when not in use
- Recycle or reuse any plastic containers, ensure nothing goes overboard
- Turn off water taps and minimise water consumption
- When booking holiday flights, choose to offset your carbon for a small fee
- Offset your family holiday carbon emissions with Green Fleet
- Gift any unopened non perishable food items to our office and we'll supply them to a local charity
Our customers enjoy our seamless service and caring staff. Often referred to as customer centric, we understand that the boat you choose is just the start of your adventure and we are here to assist you in every stage of the planning process, right up until your arrival.
- You have access to a private Charter Center, a secure online portal with customised log in details where you can order kayaks, book a Sail Guide, add your crew names, and make payments for your holiday
- Our website features detailed information on all the vessels in our fleet including images, specifications, features and video's for you to get aquainted with yor bareboat before your arrival
- Let us take the hassel out of your arrival - we can book your airport transfers or secure car parking for you
- We provide you with our local knowledge and vast sailing expertise, so you get the most out of your holiday
- All Cumberland Charter Yachts' vessels are welcome at all the resorts in the Whitsundays
- You have access to over 40 overnight anchorages and 160 moorings to choose from
- We have a low rate credit card fee of 1.5% or provide banking information for you to prepay your account without any additional charges
- Your snorkel gear is provided free of charge. We ensure it fits correctly, is clean and sanitized every time
- You’ll experience seamless service, we go the extra mile for you!
- You are important to us! From the first contact we build friendships and a community where everyone is special. Most of our boat owners were charter clients initially
- Cumberland Charter Yachts is located at Coral Sea Resort|Marina (North), in the heart of Airlie Beach. The marina underwent an extensive expansion and renovation program in 2013 and is the winner of the 5 Gold Anchors award.
- We offer 8:30am BRIEFINGS as standard, meaning you can get underway sooner to your first anchorage and maximise your holiday time
- We are available 7 days a week via email or just a phone call away on our free reservations number to answer any immediate queries that you or your crew may have leading up to your charter - (Australia) 1800 075 101
A holiday means different things to different people. Whether it's a honeymoon, time to reconnect with your family or perhaps the last family holiday before the kids fly the nest, whatever your motivation is our holidays are tailor made for you. We are passionate about the Whitsundays and want you to experience the best of what a bareboating holiday is, so if you have any queries, we are here to help. No question is too big or too small.
From the moment you contact us you become part of the Cumberland Charter Yachts community. Our vessels are maintained and cleaned to the highest of standards and our dedicated staff will go the extra mile to ensure you have a wonderful and memorable holiday. Don't just take our word for it, read any TripAdvisor review to hear what others have to say about us and why we've been awarded a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for four years in a row.